[FFmpeg-user] compiling with libx265

tim nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 09:40:55 CET 2014

On 01/12/14 18:39, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le primidi 11 frimaire, an CCXXIII, tim nicholson a écrit :
>> Whilst acknowledging that this patch works (thanks), I am trying to
>> understand why package config is failing in this case,
>
> Your first snippet shows:

> That means you are trying to compile with static libx265.a; the default
> seems to be shared libx265.so. Do you know how you achieved this? Maybe
> "cmake -DENABLE_SHARED=OFF"?

I used default values except for the install paths. According to the
docs "The Makefile/solution builds a static encoder.lib library and a
standalone x265 executable". Although I found the standalone used a
dynamic library that is also created so you get both the .a and .so.

Static ffmpeg compile is by design.

>> looking at x265.pc it has:-
>>
>> Libs: -L${libdir} -lx265
>> Libs.private: -lstdc++ -lm -lrt
>>
>> so should cover the requirements from their default location surely?
>
> This happens even if -DENABLE_SHARED=OFF was set, and I believe this is
> wrong. Compare with what x264 produces:
>
> * With --enable-shared:
>
>   Libs: -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lx264
>   Libs.private: -lpthread -lm -ldl
>
> * With --enable-static:
>
>   Libs: -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lx264 -lpthread -lm -ldl
>   Libs.private:
>
> So my diagnosis is that x265's .pc file is wrong when x265 is built with
> shared libraries disabled.

Ahh so for static the libs move from Libs.private to Libs?

I will have a play with this, and the the suggestions regarding '
- --pkg-config-flags="--static" '  from the thread Clément suggested.

> Regards,

- --
Tim.
Key Fingerprint 38CF DB09 3ED0 F607 8B67 6CED 0C0B FC44 8B0B FC83