[FFmpeg-user] Can I change overlay color of subtitle?

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sun Oct 12 19:05:59 CEST 2014

Le primidi 21 vendémiaire, an CCXXIII, Kimio Miyamura a écrit :
> I know that vobsub subtitles are bitmaps.  But in a original DVD, the
> subtitle are white bordered in black.  I don't know how ffmpeg process
> those subtitle, but I think ffmpeg intentionally change the color of
> subtitle.  Am I wrong?

In DVDs, the subtitles colors are stored in the IFO metadata file. Your
command line does not use that file (and actually, FFmpeg is not capable of
taking advantage of it yet), so the palette is lost.

You can override the palette using the -palette option to the dvdsub
decoder.

If that does not work or if it is not powerful enough, remember that once
you use the bitmap subtitles in the filter graph, they are actually treated
as video (with alpha). So you can use all video filters, and amongst the
various hue and lut filters there is probably one that can change the
colors.

As a side note, I see your command line accesses the VOB files directly in
the DVD-Video file structure. That is almost always wrong. You need to use
DVD-Video-aware software to reconstruct the MPEG streams correctly. You can
use the dvd2concat for that for example, or mplayer -dumpstream.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George