[FFmpeg-user] Using Jon Severinsson's PPA on Ubuntu 14.04, can't detach.

Tim Beyer ecronik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 00:44:46 CET 2015

Hey guys,

I have a problem which I can't figure out - maybe one of you can help
me.Hopefully! :)

I am running Jon Severinsson's PPA on Ubuntu 14.04 in a screened process -
it is a player that reads video files out of a folder, randomly. The whole
process goes through a while loop. In the screen session the switchting
between files works fine - but I can't detach with crtl+a and d or with q -
it is starting the process again. When I try to detach afterwards with
ctrl+c from screen, it waits a while and kicks me back into the ffmpeg
process. If I just close the terminal, ffmpeg crashes when the next
file-change comes. Same, when I try starting the screen already detached,
or if I forward the process to dev/null and into a log.

Here is my bash script:

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
        for file in $(ls * | shuf -n 1)
        do
                screen -S vod ffmpeg -re -i "$file" -acodec copy -vcodec
copy -f flv ServerAddress
        done
done

What am I doing wrong?