[FFmpeg-user] Problem with a YT video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Apr 29 10:44:19 CEST 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:46:41 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> It is still running, currently at frame=16591
>
> But, when I try to play Into_Great_Darknes-2.mp4 (even if not finished
> encoding),

I think that's the problem. You can't play an MP4 before it is
finished, because it needs to add information to the file *after*
transcoding. Other formats are more suited to play while transcoding. I
think Matroska works okay, but you can't seek. (Not sure right now.)
MPEG-TS is bery well suited. (Others may be as well, but I don't have
the experience.)

If it was just an experiment to see whether ffmeg is doing okay, you'll
have to wait till the end, or interrupt with the 'q' key.

> Selected video codec: [ffdv] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg DV)
[...]
> Opening audio decoder: [libdv] Raw DV Audio Decoder

Here you see that mplayer misdetects the video format/codecs. Anything
it produces is just garbage.

Moritz