[FFmpeg-user] How to preserve file time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 18 13:23:03 EEST 2024

Am 18.08.24 um 12:16 schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 18.08.24 um 12:12 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>>
>> Am 18.08.24 um 03:04 schrieb Oliver Fromme:
>>> Would you please stop this?  This kind of discussion is not going to
>>> improve FFmpeg.  You're just annoying everybody.
>> You mean the discussion about smartness, dumbness and nonsense? I
>> agree with you.
>> Please address the originator.
>
> which is you
>
> a write operation is identical no matter if a file with that name
> already exists - and both, the application nor the filesystem, cares
> waht is something *to you*
>
> Ulf Zibis (12024-08-15):
>  > To me, "deleting/overwriting existing files" and "preserving file
>  > times from input to output" are *both* "OS / file system tasks"
>  >
>  > Isn't removing existing output files samely a question for the OS?

your brain damage starts with "But for convenience FFmpeg CLI provides
option `-y` for this task"

"-y" - just open the file for write and that's it is the *default* and
don't need to be provided - it just happens

the convenience is "look there is already a file with that name! in case
you didn't know we don't overwerite it without a warning so you don't
lose data"

OVERWRITING A FILE IS NO SPECIAL TASK - IT IS THE DEFAULT

PRESERVE THE TIMESTAMP IS WRONG BECAUSE THE NEW FILE IS NOT 3 YEARS OLD
LIKE THE INPUT FILE - IT'S CREATED NOW