[FFmpeg-user] About trac (bug reporting)

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 19:03:09 EEST 2024

On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 10:22 AM Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18/06/2024 11.16, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 9:45 AM Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> MasterQuestionable appears to be the boss of trac. I don't know whether
> >> MasterQuestionable is a
> >> person or a group. The language from MasterQuestionable is as one would
> >> find in a chat among peers
> >> (i.e., developers) who come into the chat with a wealth of experience
> and
> >> a common language and a
> >> particular viewpoint. The language is extremely terse and hard to
> follow.
> >> MasterQuestionable assumes
> >> I know what I'm doing and that I know what's on-track and what's not
> >> on-track.
> >>
> >> There needs to be a triage facility between ffmpeg-user and trac in
> which
> >> ideas are discussed,
> >> problems are thought out, and good problem statements are formulated.
> The
> >> triage needs to be led by
> >> senior users (volunteers) who have been around here a while.
> >>
> >> MasterQuestionable is expending much time and energy mentoring me
> because
> >> I have not been prepared.
> >> That's wasting MasterQuestionable's time that could be better spent.
> >>
> >> Think of trac as an operating room. Think of triage-to-trac as prepping
> >> the patient for surgery.
> >> That prep does not occur in the operating room.
> >>

> > Mark,
> >
> > You should join this list and send these inquiries there..

> That is not the appropriate place:
> "[ffmpeg-devel] is about FFmpeg development discussions and patch
> submissions"

Hmmmm..  Are you not trying to get a (as you call it) "bug" fixed?  You
keep asking for developer support on this (user) list, and yet you have
opened a TRAC ticket and continue to email the *USER* list.  Like stated in
another thread J Dela Hunt is going above and beyond for your scenario.
You need to take it from the USER list to the DEV list or follow on TRAC.
You get lucky every once in a while when a developer reads a user list.  It
is definitely not the norm..