[FFmpeg-user] I found the bugs

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 19:51:53 EEST 2024

On 19/06/2024 11.57, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> On 6/19/2024 6:22 AM, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> MasterQuestionable has downgraded the timestamp bug from 'important' to 'normal'.
>
> Yes, and???
>
>  From the sound of it, this _is_ a normal/medium (or even "low") severity bug in that it doesn't
> affect the vast majority of ffmpeg use. There is often a give and take around this between the bug
> reporter and the developers, and that's a war nobody wins (don't try).
>
> For those unclear on the use of severity, there are many guides to this online (e.g.
> https://gathelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010618340-Bug-severity-guide).

Thank you for the 'guide' but neither 'important' nor 'normal' are in that guide.

I can't say for sure that this timestamp bug is _the_ timestamp bug of all time.
I can only say that parts of FFmpeg are at war with each other.

I can't link it to known problems with '-ss'. I can't say that it's linked to all/any of the un
explainable "non-monotonous DTS" errors. Those are just 'feelings' I have based on a lot of
experience with FFmpeg.

I'm asking for the attention of people on ffmpeg-user who care about those things. I'm asking for
confirmation and discussion and collective wisdom.

I can only say that if you take all the timestamp bug reports (which may all be from the same cause)
and total them together, it's not "normal".

--Mark.