[FFmpeg-user] I found the bugs

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Wed Jun 19 21:55:32 EEST 2024

On 6/19/2024 11:19 AM, Mark Filipak wrote:

>>  From the sound of it, this _is_ a normal/medium (or even "low")
>> severity bug in that it doesn't affect the vast majority of ffmpeg use.
>
> How do you know that, Carl?

Address me as I sign my email and no other way; that's why it's there.

How to I know? From what I've read this potential bug affects very
little of how ffmpeg actually operates; if it had, it's likely that the
regression tests (aka FATE) would have shown many errors. This opinion
come from a few decades of software engineering, both development and
testing.

> Maybe it affects every FFmpeg use.

Then demonstrate it (by providing other seemingly unrelated tests cases
that all fail and can be traced to the single error).

Or assume that the developers know better than we do and accept whatever
priority they set. And maybe also assume a less confrontational
attitude, telling someone that they're "Wrong" at best sends an impolite
message.

z!