[FFmpeg-user] I found the bugs

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 22:09:47 EEST 2024

On 19/06/2024 14.55, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> On 6/19/2024 11:19 AM, Mark Filipak wrote:
>
>>>  From the sound of it, this _is_ a normal/medium (or even "low") severity bug in that it doesn't
>>> affect the vast majority of ffmpeg use.
>>
>> How do you know that, Carl?
>
> Address me as I sign my email and no other way; that's why it's there.

Oh, sorry z! My email client shows me your name. I'll try to remember you prefer 'z!'.

> How to I know? From what I've read this potential bug affects very little of how ffmpeg actually
> operates; if it had, it's likely that the regression tests (aka FATE) would have shown many errors.
> This opinion come from a few decades of software engineering, both development and testing.

What if it's a very, very old bug?

>> Maybe it affects every FFmpeg use.
>
> Then demonstrate it (by providing other seemingly unrelated tests cases that all fail and can be
> traced to the single error).

I don't know how to do that. Most of my experience is with assembly language, writing device drivers
and tests and, once, a real-time kernel.

> Or assume that the developers know better than we do and accept whatever priority they set. And
> maybe also assume a less confrontational attitude, telling someone that they're "Wrong" at best
> sends an impolite message.

I'll try. It's hard to criticize a wrong statement without seeming to criticize the person making
it. I'll try.

--Mark.