[FFmpeg-user] Does atadenoise work with 10bit HDR video?

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Thu Jun 27 09:45:23 EEST 2024

Am 26.06.2024 um 23:43 schrieb Oliver Fromme:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using ffmpeg for a long time, but I've just recently started to
> use it with 10bit HDR (HDR10) video.
>
> So far I found out how to re-encode HDR10 video with libx265 and
> retain the HDR metadata.  It's a bit complicated, but it seems to
> work fine.  However, I'm unsure about video filters.
>
> In particular, I often use the atadenoise filter.  It works really
> well for 8bit SDR video.  But can it be used with HDR10 video, too?
> Can I simply add ''-vf atadenoise`` to the command and it'll work,
> or will it clip the data down to 8bit?

You can make a test to check if a filter chain is 10-bit compatible.
Make a test image (or video) with 1024 levels of gray in a 32x32 grid.
Then apply the filterchain to this test image.
Then apply strong contrast enhancement to the output video. If there was
a hidden truncation to 8-bit, then there will be only 8 levels of gray
in X direction.
Described in chapter 2.201 in my book:
http://www.astro-electronic.de/FFmpeg_Book.pdf

According to my test, atadenoise is 10-bit compatible.

Michael