[FFmpeg-user] Does atadenoise work with 10bit HDR video?

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 15:19:07 EEST 2024

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 2:02 PM Oliver Fromme <oliver at fromme.com> wrote:

> Paul B Mahol wrote:
>  > On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:43 PM Oliver Fromme <oliver at fromme.com>
> wrote:
>  > > I'm using ffmpeg for a long time, but I've just recently started to
>  > > use it with 10bit HDR (HDR10) video.
>  > >
>  > > So far I found out how to re-encode HDR10 video with libx265 and
>  > > retain the HDR metadata.  It's a bit complicated, but it seems to
>  > > work fine.  However, I'm unsure about video filters.
>  > >
>  > > In particular, I often use the atadenoise filter.  It works really
>  > > well for 8bit SDR video.  But can it be used with HDR10 video, too?
>  > > Can I simply add ''-vf atadenoise`` to the command and it'll work,
>  > > or will it clip the data down to 8bit?  Is there anything else that
>  > > I need to take into account?
>  > >
>  >
>  > You could already try it via several ways...
>
> Well, of course I tried to simply use ''-vf atadenoise`` with a
> sample HDR10 video.  There were no error messages, and I couldn't
> see a problem, but eyes can deceive you.  I may have missed a
> potential problem.
>
> For example, I wondered if the atadenoise filter is aware of the
> color space and transfer function?  Does it have to?  Or do I have
> to convert the 10bit pixel data to bt709 or linear light (maybe even
> 16bit), then run atadenoise, then convert back to the actual HDR10
> color space (bt2020nc, smpte2084)?  Apparently I don't have to, but
> I'm not 100% sure.

The filter does little non-trivial averaging based on thresholding so its
really fast,
but it can not denoise upper moderate noise to high noise, you can compare
it
with hqdn3d filter as that one also should support 10bit and higher
bit-depht content at similar speeds.

There are more sophisticated filters but they are also magnitude slower.

>  > The filter supports >8bit pixel formats too.
>
> Thank you very much for the confirmation!
>
> By the way ...
>
> I think it is desirable that the documentation mentioned what bit
> depths (more precisely: what pixel formats) are supported by the
> various filters.  Right now, that piece of information seems to be
> missing from most of the filters, although it is quite important,
> especially now that HDR content becomes more and more common.

In Librempeg, filters that are not doing complex stuff have support for
this already via:

ffmpeg -h filter=atadenoise

And then it lists supported pixel/sample formats...