[FFmpeg-user] Resolve (was Re: key frame)

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Jun 30 02:32:52 EEST 2024

Mark Filipak wrote in various messages:

>  Open ports shine on the Internet like stars in the
> sky. Open ports want to be found.

How does the world see those ports _inside_ your firewall? Please
explain. (You do have an Internet firewall, don't you? Which one?)

> Blackmagic was created to compete with Red. Red is solid. Blackmagic
> is a barefoot mother.
Uh, no. BMD was formed in 2005 with the Decklink cards and some
converters, their cinema cameras didn't come out until around 2012. The
converters and switchers are quite solid, AFAICT so is Resolve.

> 1 - Blackmagic is not reprogramming routers to allow ports into
> LANs. Ports are allowed in by default.
What -are- you talking about? If your network firewall is allowing some
ports inbound, that's not the application software's problem.

Likewise, a web site that looks for open ports can only see what that
firewall allows. (I think the only in-bound connections I allow is ssh
on a non-standard port, wireguard vpn, and? no, that's about it.
In-bound responses are allow when matched with outbound traffic. That's
pretty standard stuff.)

Now let's get to non-routable IP addresses, like the 192.168 range. If
you're using those and they're properly filtered out there won't be
inbound traffic to those ports, and outbound with NAT's addresses can be
easily blocked if you want.

This is a non-problem to the vast majority of users and networks.

>> FWIW Resolve uses a database approach to its projects.  (Avid uses
>> files (bins aka .avb files) as does Premiere.  That likely
>> accounts for at least one of the open ports if not more
>
> I think you're referring to collaborative software, not databases.
And under the collab software is.... a Database!!! (even sqlite is a
database, and a pretty good one, too; most cell phones and web browsers
are using it.)

> Yup, trust me, I'm from Blackmagic. Are you a convenience fool? If
> so, you don't get on my LAN.
Again, your loss. And your "walled garden" metaphorically has a couple
of large holes in it.

If you don't want to use Resolve, that's fine with pretty much everyone
else, just don't go throwing up nonsensical reasons and pretending that
they're fact-based.

z!