[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg wav lossless to youtube mov?

John Hawkinson jhawk at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 24 02:23:03 EEST 2024

Zathras: It appears your assumption (6) that the files are "exactly the
same" because the spectrograms are the same is not correct.

I downloaded https://www2.cs.uic.edu/~i101/SoundFiles/BabyElephantWalk60.wav
as a test file and converted it with the freeoconvert.com online converter,
and ffprobe reports the following:

% ffprobe BabyElephantWalk60.mov
  Stream #0:1[0x2]: Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 22050 Hz, mono,
fltp, 72 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : SoundHandler
      vendor_id       : [0][0][0][0]

That is, the online converter you specify has converted the audio to AAC.
That is, you should be able to use simply

ffmpeg -i picture.jpg -i music.wav upload.mov

and accept the results.

Alternatively, discussion in this thread suggests you can use the FLAC
encoding, which is lossless.

I agree that the responses you received to your inquiry were rude and
unprofessional and have no place on this mailing list and I am sorry you
had to deal with them, and I do not understand who administers this list or
how to resolve those issues.
jhawk at alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson