OT - video connectors (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Cian Duffy myob87
Wed Mar 15 00:22:06 CET 2006

On 14/03/06, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:

> > > Are there any TV sets left that
> > > don't have RGB/component inputs?
> >
> > Tons.
>
> What region are we talking? Over here (NL) I've seen no TV sets without
> RGB/component input for at least 10 years now. You're quite screwed imho
> if someone sells you a TV set without RGB input!

Theres a big difference between Europe - where SCARTs are basically
essential - and the USA - where composite is still quite often the default.
But I've not only seen but own a TV - a late 1990s 14" portable by an major
Europe electronics firm that will remain nameless - where the SCART didn't
do RGB. They still exist.

Most STBs only support RGB on a single SCART, additionally. Sometimes the
second one supports S-Video but normally only composite.

Cian