[Ffmpeg-devel] VMware Video codec now fully documented

Mike Melanson mike
Thu Jan 25 00:03:23 CET 2007

Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So, we were a little slow off the mark but we finally got round
>> to looking at the multimedia wiki page on VMNC and filling in
>> the gaps and correcting a couple of mistakes.
>>
>> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=VMNC
>>
>> The existing code is pretty much fine but some corner cases can
>> be properly handled with the full documentation.
>
> Is this your personal action, or allowed by your company? If the latter,
> what was their first reaction when seeing this supported, and why didnt
> VMware released the specs in the first place?

If I were a guessing man, I would have to say that it's because they
probably didn't maintain great documentation internally on the data
format during codec development. This phenomenon is not entirely
unheard-of (witness SNOW). They may have tossed around the idea of
releasing public specs but it's understandably not a top priority.

--
	-Mike Melanson