[Ffmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman
Sat Mar 3 16:23:46 CET 2007

On 3-mrt-2007, at 2:25, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Harikrishnan Varma wrote:
>> Audio:
>> * MPEG-1 Layer 3 and MPEG-2 Layer 3. Both CBR & ABR are supported.
>> * AC-3
>> * MP3 Surround (In drffmpeg we use a dll supplied by Thomson)
>
> Now that the AC-3 decoder is hopefully close to being merged (waiting
> patiently), I think E-AC-3 would be a great SoC project.  There are
> clear decoding specs and this year there are samples to work with.
> It's
> also something that could be easily split out into incremental steps.
>
> If nobody does it through SoC, I'll probably try to implement it
> myself.
>  Personally, I really want a good E-AC-3 decoder so I can work on an
> encoder without having to install Windows in order to test it. :)

I have another idea for ffmpeg's GSoC.
Improving multichannel analog audio framework. As I understand,
multichannel audio is really weak now in ffmpeg, and especially audio
channel order concept is totally lost. I think this is one of the
last big missing things in avcodec, and that it is real important for
future versions of ffmpeg. It might also be something that google
will see as an important element for such a project. A possible
additional element could be channel reordering.

I have worked on this for VLC's OSX audio module and have realized
the importance of proper channel designations in applications that
handle multichannel audio.

Of course it would require heavy mentoring, because it would touch a
lot of API.

DJ