[FFmpeg-devel] What is the relationship between wmv1, wmv2 and wmv3 and msmpeg4?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jun 20 19:10:18 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:21:46AM +0800, zhihang wang wrote:

> > Just a question: which change you made that made ffmpeg more readable, and
> > not just more readable for you? Changing everything to your favorite
> > conventions/indentation style will surely make it more readable for you, but
> > probably not for other people.
>
> This is just the reason why I fork this project.  Please read the latest
> version. It will show that it is more readable, although it can't be
> compiled now.

If you wish for comments on your changes, you can post a patch here that
conforms to our devel policy&... (nicely split in 1 patch per self contained
change ...)
That said, not breaking compilation is part of the guidelines

> For example, I use ffavs_video.h to replace mpegvideo.h.

thats a pointless rename, that certainly doesnt improve readability, not even
for you.

> The ugly
> MpegEncContext structure is split to many structures. The decoding files of
> wmv, flash h263 and so on, are also changed to make it more readable.

as said, you can post a patch if you like and are willing to subject your
code to peer review and comments of other developers, if not its your perfect
right of course to fork ffmpeg, sit in a corner with your fingers in your ears
and chanting "my code is more readable"

> ... defining _GNU_SOURCE...
For the love of all that is holy, and some that is not, don't do that.
-- Luca & Mans