[FFmpeg-devel] segfaults: Internal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizebit reservoir error

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 24 15:33:35 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:58:10PM +0100, Artur Bodera wrote:
> 2010/3/24 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>
>

> > The crash is happening in LAME code.  Go bother the LAME devs if you
> > can find them.
> >

> hahaha ;-) That's optimistic...
> ps:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2553863&group_id=290&atid=100290
>

> Anyways, according to my observations and other people's analysis (see
> ffmpeg ticket 803)
> the truth lies somewhere between. i.e. the way ffmpeg calls api (flushes)
> that is somewhat
> incompatible or broken.
>
> There are tons of new patches every month for compatibility and
> interoperability with x264,
> while a veeeeeery old bug with lame 3.98 has been dormant since circa nov
> 2008.
>
> Note that crashes are semi-random (most often for longer clips > 60min) so
> that would mean
> many people have broken ffmpeg binaries and don't even know that unless they
> need to encode
> something longer.

a crash in lame is a crash and thus bug in lame
issue803 and the link you show above is not a crash
also if you want 803 worked around in ffmpeg, comments to a patch
there exist in the tracker and we are waiting for a corrected patch

> Well, no need for analysis or speculations around it - just point me (and
> others) to what version
> to use, or what flags to set to make it (finally) work.
>

> ps: similar bug with lame 3.98 (same error msg) popped in mencoder many
> months ago
> and it has been fixed instantly.

a link to the commit maybe helpfull

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch