[FFmpeg-devel] Preliminary announcement about the current situation

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Thu Jan 20 10:47:17 CET 2011

On 01/20/2011 04:53 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Apparently not a single developer who signed this feels the need to say why.
> They are all subscribed and all have read this
> I guess i did not spend enough years of my life working on ffmpeg to deserve
> an awnser

I wanted to think a bit more about what to answer so it would not rushy.

Why I supported this move? Well, I tried my best as Ronald and others to
find a conciliation. I failed.

. I think you aren't suitable as leader since you lack the social skills
needed yet I trust your technical competence, that's why when you asked
for a vote I, and the majority, voted for C: I trust you but you must
change.

. I think moving to a decentralized development with more gatekeepers
and the explicit presence of branches and fork should help people
interested in certain aspect to focus on them. I accept the burden of
merging everything myself.

The above points were public knowledge already.

The group that decided to undersign that document grew suddenly in few
days after months of discussions among 5-8 people that were looking for
solutions, that means that we found out that this solution was
considered viable by enough people to be worth trying it.

I'm not sure if a better explanation before this change wouldn't have
left you and the other people surprised by this move less bitter,
probably a better wording might have delivered better our ideas as
probably if I took more time before writing this it would sound better.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux