[FFmpeg-devel] Preliminary announcement about the current situation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 20 16:29:36 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:47:17AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 01/20/2011 04:53 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Apparently not a single developer who signed this feels the need to say why.
> > They are all subscribed and all have read this
> > I guess i did not spend enough years of my life working on ffmpeg to deserve
> > an awnser
>
> I wanted to think a bit more about what to answer so it would not rushy.
>
> Why I supported this move? Well, I tried my best as Ronald and others to
> find a conciliation. I failed.
>
> . I think you aren't suitable as leader since you lack the social skills
> needed yet I trust your technical competence, that's why when you asked
> for a vote I, and the majority, voted for C: I trust you but you must
> change.

People just forgot telling me exactly what to change.
There was "follow the policy and rules" but i did alraedy follow that
and my memory of whitespace & style discussions is not long enough to remember
if i agreed to something that has never been written in the policy, or where
i agreed to what ...

> . I think moving to a decentralized development with more gatekeepers
> and the explicit presence of branches and fork should help people
> interested in certain aspect to focus on them. I accept the burden of
> merging everything myself.

yes the branch and forkitis is a good thing when there are many people and they
cant agree on some things

> The above points were public knowledge already.
>
> The group that decided to undersign that document grew suddenly in few
> days after months of discussions among 5-8 people that were looking for
> solutions, that means that we found out that this solution was
> considered viable by enough people to be worth trying it.

Has noone considered to actually ask me to fix the issues people see with me?
Yeah sure i cant change my personality, but i could and planed to come to
IRC and i think that alone would have reduced the problems quite a bit.

either way, thanks alot for your awnser

If a bugfix only changes things apparently unrelated to the bug with no
further explanation, that is a good sign that the bugfix is wrong.