[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 1 16:04:08 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 10:22:00AM +0200, miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr wrote:
> The pointer message shows up on:
>
> http://www.deb-multimedia.org/lurker/message/20140731.231005.32dac362.en.html
>
> as well.
>
> There, and not here on FFmpeg mailing list archives (
> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-August/022782.html
> a fact to which I have no complaints against), it can be seen that I
> sent it
> to:
>
> To: FFmpeg user questions
> CC: vorlon, ijackson, dmo-discussion
>
> However, in the Debian Forums, while no server... ehrm... fluctuations
> happened, as last time on Gentoo Forums, pls. see:
>
> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-April/021025.html
> in bottom:
>
> Wow, what an amazing coincidence, the gentoo forums are down.
> http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://forums.gentoo.org
>
> , it has been moved from the Debian Development section
> into the Offtopic section,
>
> where it currently is,
>
> and which I feel as an affront.
>
> For which reason, I am making just one public plea for it to be
> returned back
> to the Debian Development section where I believe it belongs.
>
> I understand that people who couldn't talk reason into the other
> apostatizing
> members of the  Debian Technical Commitee and others in among the
> Debian
> leadership who had been pushing the Debain Jessie that way very
> probably can do
> little for returning my post where it belongs, into the Debian
> Development
> section,
>
> but please, Ian Jackson and Steve Langasek, can you help?
>
> As well as you, Dasein, who I believe are Osamu Aoke, the man of the
> Debian
> Reference tutorial, which I read parts of and really enjoyed, could
> you revert
> from your "Moved to Offtopic" decision as can currently be seen here:
>
> Defeat and Hope for GNU/Linux
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=116472#p548497
>
> could you please, Osamu Aoke?

It is obviously off topic, and mostly incoherent rambling about lots of
different topics.  Hard to be on topic when there is no topic.

As for Tails (which I had never heard of before) and UEIF, they have
a page here https://tails.boum.org/news/test_UEFI/index.en.html from
May asking people to test that the UEFI support didn't break non UEFI
machines.  Perhaps no one bothered.

--
Len Sorensen