[FFmpeg-user] What is a "pad" in the context of an "input pad", an "output pad" and a "filter pad"

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Oct 28 19:09:25 EEST 2022

On 10/28/2022 8:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> well, in the audio-world people can't even distinct between instruments and
> playback, otherwise the nonsense of "sounding" amplifiers won't exist

What does that really mean? "Distinct" is not a verb, do you mean
"distinguish"?

> on the playback side you don't want anything having it's own sound because
> it isn't an instrument while instruments are supposed to produce sound
> speakers and amplifiers have to be neutral - the sound is already on the record

On the recording side, too, but it's rather well understood that most audio
equipment -does- have a "sound" and good engineers understand and exploit
that. Perhaps you realize that €50 speakers seem a bit less accurate that
€500 ones do? (I must assume you have little background in actual audio
engineering or professional recording practice.)

On 10/28/2022 8:51 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> not in the IT world
Good thing we're not in the IT world, we're in the image- and
aural-processing world.

And none of that is relevant to the original question.

Anyway, go back and look at Clay's question- what does "pad" mean in context
of _filter_chains_?

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#Filtergraph-description
4 Filtergraph description
A filtergraph is a directed graph of connected filters. It can contain
cycles, and there can be multiple links between a pair of filters. Each link
has one input _pad_ on one side connecting it to one filter from which it
takes its input, and one output _pad_ on the other side connecting it to one
filter accepting its output.
[emphasis added]

It seems that 'pad' means a connecting point (consistent with my #3 earlier).

z!