[Libav-user] flushing internal buffers using custom I/O

Hung Nguyen Hung.Nguyen at ambientdigitalgroup.com
Fri Apr 10 13:03:25 CEST 2015

From transcoding.c example, there’s a flush_encoder(int stream_index) example.
It works by simply provides the decoder null packet, which was initialised likes this:

    AVPacket packet = {.data = NULL, .size = 0};

Then you create a flush_decoder(stream_index) function:
static int flush_decoder(unsigned int stream_index) {
    int ret;
    int got_frame;
    AVFrame *frame = NULL;
    AVPacket packet = {.data = NULL, .size = 0};

       if (!(ofmt_ctx->streams[stream_index]->codec->codec->capabilities &
            CODEC_CAP_DELAY))
            return 0;

    while (1) {
        frame = av_frame_alloc();
        ret = avcodec_decode_video2(ifmt_ctx->streams[stream_index]->codec, frame,
                &got_frame, &packet);
        av_frame_free(&frame);
        if (ret < 0)
            break;
        if (!got_frame)
            return 0;
        av_log(NULL, AV_LOG_INFO, "Flushing stream #%u decoder\n", stream_index);
    }
    return ret;
}

loop through the input AVFormatContext’s number streams, and flush all buffered frame.

Hung Nguyen
hung.nguyen at ambientdigitalgroup.com